Posts tagged ‘wire’

Breadth Challenge #24: Trichinopoly

So, something new for my breadth challenge.  I first saw trichinopoly last year at Rowany where, alas, I only saw about 2 minutes of the tutorial on said subject, and that two minutes was without any form of comprehension as I was just waiting for my next collegia to start in the adjacent tent.  I’ve been wanting to try it ever since, but haven’t had any idea how to start.

For those who are left completely at sea by the five syllable word that sounds like a prehistoric sea creature or something, trichinopoly is also known as Viking or Norse wire weaving, or Viking chain knit.

Yesterday, I came across the Viking Knit tutorial on the Tangible Daydreams blog.  I immediately set to trying it, but ended in a puddle of disappointment and horrendous knots.  Knowing that it was my understanding that was at fault rather than the tutorial, I set out to find similar tutorials that put things into slightly different formats.  A couple of searches later, I found this tutorial.  The two tutorials together got me knitting in no time.

I am rather proud of myself for going the extra step and using my man’s drill press, which I am somewhat terrified of, to drill myself a drawplate.  Eight different gauges of drill bit gave me eight successive holes to draw down, and produced a very even finish.

Alas, my camera is pretty much dead, however I’ve managed to snag some photos with my i-Pad.  Sadly, the quality is bad, but you’ll get the idea.

Weaving in action

Necklace once it's been drawn through the drawplate

My only hassle has been with the clasps at the ends.  This, I think, will require some practice.

A last note:  In one of the tutorial links the writer made a note about the chain becoming two times longer.  This is not necessarily accurate.  I stopped my knit at 15cm, expecting a choker sized length.  Instead, my completed length of chain is 55cm.

 

 

Advertisements

Breadth Challenge #16: Hennin

I find myself rather suddenly in need of headwear for Abbey, my snood being elsewhere due to a miscommunication about garb I lent out.  So, last night I searched the internet for 15th Century headwear, intending to make something to fit with my 15th Century Italian gown.

I found the hennin,  many pictured on ladies wearing gowns very similar to the cut of my own.

The classic image of the princess wearing a pointy hat with a long, flowing scarf trailing from the tip is the example most people are familiar with.  Some hennins are portrayed as being conical, others as heart shaped, but the one I have made is a truncated cone.

I had absolutely no idea where to begin, so I searched Google for a “how to” guide, and found this.  Whoever wrote that guide is forever golden in my eyes, because it took me only a few hours to get a wearable hennin, and most of that was taken up in hand sewing.  After wearing it for the past 2 1/2 hours, I can quite honestly say it’s possibly the most comfortable headwear I’ve ever worn.

Hennin Components: clockwise from left, the cage, the sleeve, the comb, the scarf, and the U-needle

There are 5 pieces to this rather elaborate hat.

  • The comb, which sits around your head and is tied in the back to fit snugly.
  • The cage, which ties directly onto the comb.  This is the structural assembly that holds it all up.
  • The U-needle, which hooks onto the comb and allows for forward adjustment at any time you feel your hennin may be slipping backwards.
  • The sleeve, which fits over the cage and hides all that wire.
  • The scarf, to drape over the entire lot.

Me wearing my new piece of garb

The trickiest part in the entire thing is the cage, but a little perseverance will get you there eventually.  My hennin is slightly lopsided, but I don’t think anyone except me will ever look that closely at it to notice.

Breadth Challenge #15: Wire-work Tokens

For coronation, I created a large number of entry tokens.  I was not the one to design these, but I created the majority that were handed out (roughly 140).

Wire-work token

Of then, 10 were rather special, being beaded along the wire in blue, red and white, with 4 larger beads at each intersection on the outer ring.

 

The War! and other such stuff…

I have just returned from Great Northern War.  Oh my, it was fun!

For those who are unaware, Great Northern War is an annual SCA event which currently takes place in Samford, QLD, over the Queen’s Birthday long weekend.  There is (unsurprisingly) a war.  I didn’t see the war.  I was too busy doing all the other stuff.

The weekend started off running, as I presented an earspoon to my friend Ragnarr, even before I had started setting up camp.  He was thrilled with it and apparently spent much of the weekend showing it off to others.  I have gained at least one commission from his excitement.  I also presented his Canton with my piece of filk, which he also loved, and which, I gather, may end up being sung often in Stegby.

Court was joyous.  A number of my friends received well deserved awards.  There were so many AOA’s given out, I know there were people I should have been congratulating that I have missed, simply because of the sheer volume of awards.

Over the course of the weekend, there were 26 A&S courses up for grabs.  Unfortunately, they were spaced over 9 course times, so even the most avid A&S junkie was going to miss out on 17 of them.  I managed only 7, due to a) talk early on Saturday morn and b) a migraine Saturday afternoon.  I think this was a valiant effort, and I now know a few things that I didn’t know before, and have a number of things to attempt for my breadth challenge.

I’ve also added two accomplishments to that challenge: making a clasp, and learning how to play Nine Men’s Morris.  I will, at some stage, make a board for the latter, and post it up here, along with rules not pulled from Wikipedia ;).

%d bloggers like this: